My Daddy Was A Pistol and I'm a Son of a Gun!

Title taken from the title of a book by Lewis Grizzard, Southern Humorist

Actually, I guess i'd be the daughter of a gun, but that doesn't sound as 'catchy'. The story you're about to read is one of a true survivor, a man who lived through four daughters, and was happy with that, always helping us and letting us know we could do anything we set our minds to. I'm sure at times, he wondered what it would've been like to have a son but he was never dissappointed, and never complained... just patiently watched us all grow up.

What can be said in such a small space to sum up such a great man? Our Dad. It certainly can't all fit. So I'm forced to choose a few things that will best show his personality, and let you get to know him. First, I was chatting a bit with my sister, Vickie (Nana) and we were thinking on all of the funny episodes that he had. He was always trying to do something "cool". If he couldn't buy something, he would at least try to make us contraptions that he thought we'd get a thrill out of-such as some stilts that he fashioned for my sisters, which when he tested, promptly sunk into the ground (I wasn't around then). Seemed like whatever he did always resulted in extremely funny episodes. Such as the time my sister says that he was showing them how he could snap a bull whip, and while illustrating this talent, he quickly struck a Hornets' nest up in a tree and it fell straight down on him, swelling his neck and head up to twice its size. There were plenty of episodes too that continued even after my arrival and throughout my youth. Once I remember that he was outside mowing the yard and the well had leaked in the corner of the yard, so it was extremely wet there. He used the weed eater in that spot, and plowed right into a pile of dog shit, resulting in it covering him tead to toe. Of course we laughed, at this and all of the funny things that he did. He rolled out of carports in his chair, fell off of many chairs and other objects and posed for more silly pictures than I can count. Yes there are just too many to list, and we really wish we had video footage of all these-It would probably make one fantastic movie-we'd at least cherish that anyway.

As for me, growing up he was always working on projects, building things showing me how to do things like drive cars, change spark plugs, count change back to a customer in the proper way (because he believed that you should be able to as you couldn't rely on computers--guess he's probably got a point there). He and Mom both taught me about how to shoot guns, and also about the dangers. They kept them out of reach, for safety, but they also taught about the proper ways. I agree with that too.

Our father was a truck driver, and has seen many places in his time. Even now, he is always ready for a road trip. It's not as easy traveling with him now that he's older, as he gets impatient and can make the trip seem a bit hellish at times. But we still like to take him places, because after all-He's done more for us than he probably realizes and we're so thankful to have him and Mom too. They made a very happy home for us all, and although some of us may not share exactly the same great memories, they did absolutely the best two people could ever do at bringing a family together and making a happy home. Oh we had our share ins and outs, of course, as all kids grow up thinking they know it all, but you come to realize as you get grown yourself that you don't know half what you thought you did back then.

Lastly, I remember and still use many of my Dad's silly songs that he would sing (I guess he would make these up, but he did a darn good job of it). Some of his titles are "If you don't give me half the bed, i'm gonna rip the sheets", and "Don't Bend over in the Garden Granny, You Know Them Taters Got Eyes" (that one is a Lewis Grizzard book title too I think), "Love is a Nose and You Better Not Pick It" (parody of 'Love is a Rose'), and many more. I guess Dad is 'what happened' to all of us... He made us the ridiculously silly girls that we remain still today. A part of him will exist as long as we all do. How can you forget that face, or that man for that matter!
There's truly nobody like you Daddy we Love You!!!

Comments

Aunt Jackie said…
Sorry to hear that... Mine's still here and I try to spend as much time with my parents as possible. Who else am I going to make wear funny shirts and pose for silly pics?? :-|
Chelly said…
I love his shirt! I bet he was a chick magnet! He's as cute as a button!
Aunt Jackie said…
I'm gonna have to tell him that... Glad you enjoyed it Chelly!
JINKS said…
Its true, no matter what they (dads)are like the older we become the more we can appreciate everything about them.
Aunt Jackie said…
Lewis Grizzard was a great humorist... I really enjoyed him.
Aunt Jackie said…
Whatever helps you sleep at night Vic :)
Aunt Jackie said…
So bitter vic, maybe you need something other than that Tylenol PM... check with Al.

Popular Posts

When Potato Salad Goes Bad

Birthday Blast

Thirsty