Celebrating Those Gone Before Us

Don't mean to seem morbid, or obscessed the the topic this week, but I've been thinking a bit more about how other cultures handle their loss and grief of those that have passed on. How many cultures mourn so severely as mine, and then there are those that make great celebrations to honor and remember them. Although I am not of mexican descent, Mr. J shares some of this ancestry... I still thought I would share this tidbit since I do enjoy what it stands for and it is quite a colorful celebration from what I understand. Today begins Mexico's "Day of the Dead" celebration.
Two 'Day of the Dead' dancers
Day of the Dead is celebrated in Mexico on November 1st (All Saint's Day) and 2nd (All Souls Day). It's a time to remember deceased loved ones and honor them. Day of the Dead is a festive occasion, a time to celebrate, much like a family reunion. Making a Day of the Dead altar can be a way for you to honor the life of someone who was important to you, or remember your ancestors. There are no hard and fast rules about how the altar should be made. Be creative and make something that looks attractive and is meaningful to you. Here's How to Make Your Own Day of the Dead Alter. And if you'd like to read more about it, visit www.mexconnect.com beforehand.

With so many people having family member losses in recent months or the last couple of years, including my family and some friends, as well as some of my new blog aquaintances, from what I understand, it could be a very therapeutic and spiritual release--if one might be interested... Just sharing. I hope everyone is doing o.k. with the Halloween aftermath, wherever you are... be safe and enjoy your day.

Comments

Anonymous said…
It's nice to have a day to remember the departed in a manner that celebrates life. Catholics have All Souls' Day but it can hardly be called festive.

Popular Posts

When Potato Salad Goes Bad

Birthday Blast

Thirsty