I Wish

The day started off cloudy and windy, but Mother Nature has promised us partly cloudy and 72 Degrees or so by this afternoon. So it looks like it will shape up to be quite a lovely Friday.

I was sitting at my desk first thing this morning, and some noise that I heard reminded me of Bugs Bunny cartoons, it was some little "ditty", just the tune of the very beginning of some of the cartoon episodes on there. Suddenly, I was transported back in time to a simpler, more secure era...

I am six years old and it's a lovely, cool Saturday morning...

Daddy "marked off" so he could be home with his family like he does sometimes. He doesn't care as much about the money as he does about being with us... I mean, he wants to make sure that the bills are paid and that we have food to eat and clothes on our backs, but he hates to be gone from us. So he takes off when he can. I love it when Daddy is home because we wake up like this and watch cartoons. He's my best buddy and he makes me laugh. He takes me with him to run errands, or just to go shopping. Best Daddy in the world.

He loves watching cartoons... he always reads the funny paper to me too, we'll sit up in his favorite chair and he'll read through the comic strips. So easy to fall asleep in his big, warm, safe arms. Life is magic, life is full of love, life is beautiful.

I wish everyone could have grown up with me and known the parents that I have known. I wish everyone could have grown up with me so I could have taught you about a happy childhood. I could have shared my secrets of true and easy magic. We might've made mud pies together, we would have probably played all day in the hay and stayed outside until the sun set dreaming, imagining, creating our amazing worlds together. The world would've been a better place if every one of your lives had been touched by my parents and family.

More than anything today, I wish you everything you need. Nothing more, nothing less.


"I Wish" - Heather Headley

Id give you the moon, but you'd never know the warmth of the sunshine,
Id give you the world, but actually what would that do.
Id promise you wings to fly, but how would you ever learn to run,
So I wish you all you need, to be more than I can be.
This is what I wish for you.

I wish you rainy days, so you can know the beauty of a clear blue sky
I wish you falling leaves, so you'll understand that seasons change.
Cause, if I gave you the mountains, would you learn to climb,
I pray you'll always see; the forest through the trees.
And this is what I wish for you,
And this is what I wish for you.

If I could Id say the word and take your fears away,
And Id stay right by your side and show the way you should take.
But this your life, this is your story, and we know this, go ahead and say,
I hope you live with no regrets.

I wish you ocean breeze, and rivers that can bring you everything you dream,
I wish that the air you breathe, is all that you'll ever need.
And I wish you nights of love, and days of joy and shoulders when you cry,
And just enough hellos, to get you through, goodbye,
And this is what I wish for you.

I pray one day you'll have a home, with arms stood open wide,
And you'll have someone who loves you, always by your side,
And if you lose your will to try, I wish you wings to fly.
I wish you wings to fly.

I wish you everything you need.

And this is what I wish for you,
And this is what I wish for you.

Comments

furiousBall said…
beautiful stuff
BBC said…
I was sitting at my desk first thing this morning, and some noise that I heard reminded me of Bugs Bunny cartoons,

Hon, we all have to grow up someday, or not. Bugs Bunny and the Road Runner was cute in it's time but it's way behind me as I look forward.
Aunt Jackie said…
@Furious: Thanks, I'm glad anytime someone enjoys these thoughts and memories.

@BBC: (e-mailed reply): Ahh you don't fool me, men never really grow up. What's so good about this "growing up" you go on over anyway?? It seems to me like it ages people and stresses them out... I handle my responsibilities and I the rest of my life I like to try to enjoy... being a child at heart is a special thing...

I honestly don't see anything wrong with enjoying good memories and sharing those with readers... I put it out there hoping that it might bring someone else a good memory or make them feel good, or feel... 'something' anyway.

Guess some people are "grown ups" forever, and just don't feel anything.

Kind of sad if you ask me.
Aunt Jackie said…
Also, My Dad loved comedy, cartoons and all-things-childish up until the day he died. He was a great man, and he took care of his responsibilities better than any man I've ever known, but he never grew up, and I think it takes a real man to be able to balance all that out and know what's truly important in this life... he did, few do... Dad just "got it".

They don't make em like him anymore, they broke the mold. Too bad... He was the sweetest.
Anonymous said…
Great post Sister dear. I am glad you still feel the wonder of childhood..so do I. Some people would never get it in a million years. Some people are just born old souls. They are the ones who miss out. My opinion.....I know they are like assholes ,we all have one. Love You, Vickie
Aunt Jackie said…
Well said my Sista. :) Just like Daddy would say... I love you too.

Popular Posts

When Potato Salad Goes Bad

Birthday Blast

Thirsty