Thanks For The Memories

My earliest memories of Thanksgiving included watching my Mom and Dad work together to make the best homemade dressing in the entire world. He would stand at the table, mixing it all together, adding the sage, celery, seasonings... both of them did their parts, but it became a running joke in the family that we were eating "Daddy's famous dressing". Still, his recipe and his love lives on. (Although perhaps the icon pic to the left will turn you all Vegan! ha-ha!)

We raised a few Turkeys growing up, but I made cuddly pets out of them, certainly, and not one of them ever landed on a dinner table. I wish that were the case for all of these sweet birds in the world. But of course, I'm one of those kooks who enjoys the company of our animals more than I do most people... I won't apologize for that! ;)

Daddy delighted, actually reveled in holiday traditions, so between the two of them, we have been steeped in traditions of spending the holidays as a family, sitting down to joyful dinner. As the years went on, however, the family grew, the house was more and more crowded and of course some have split off or had to juggle multiple family. Everyone has their own families, and kids and responsibilities and it gets more complicated.

So, we take moments like these to remember the simple times and give thanks for all we have and all that we have been lucky to enjoy in this lifetime. When we sit and take inventory it's way more than we think.

This year will of course be our first Thanksgiving without Daddy. We're trying to keep the tradition and have dinner at Mom's but I know it is going to feel just a little odd and somewhat lonely, even with all of us. They have made a very nice, big and joyful family together.

With busy work weeks and so many things to do, I haven't had much time to get ready for this, but here it is. I hope that the day goes off without a hitch for all of you, and everyone has a very happy time together with your family, and/or friends and those closest to you.

Although we pause in gratitude today, we should try to remember not to make this a one-day per year thought, because there are so many things every single day we need to remember to appreciate.

So I will end this, my Thanksgiving post with a quote and a bit of humor by sharing a few shots where the Turkeys have their revenge...

as well they should.

Let's turn the tables for a moment, shall we?


Take THAT Cousin Reginald!


I guess the Turkey fancied a little Thanksgiving Bush!

And of course, we have to end with a bit of holiday inspiration (if you will, and I know I do).

Mark Twain
Thanksgiving Day, a function which originated in New England two or three centuries ago when those people recognized that they really had something to be thankful for -- annually, not oftener -- if they had succeeded in exterminating their neighbors, the Indians, during the previous twelve months instead of getting exterminated by their neighbors, the Indians. Thanksgiving Day became a habit, for the reason that in the course of time, as the years drifted on, it was perceived that the exterminating had ceased to be mutual and was all on the white man's side, consequently on the Lord's side; hence it was proper to thank the Lord for it and extend the usual annual compliments.

John Baillie
The very fact that a man is thankful implies someone to be thankful to.

Erma Bombeck
Thanksgiving dinners take eighteen hours to prepare. They are consumed in twelve minutes. Half-times take twelve minutes. This is not coincidence.

Rita Rudner
My mother is such a lousy cook that Thanksgiving at her house is a time of sorrow.

Ellen Orleans
I have strong doubts that the first Thanksgiving even remotely resembled the 'history' I was told in second grade. But considering that (when it comes to holidays) mainstream America's traditions tend to be over-eating, shopping, or getting drunk, I suppose it's a miracle that the concept of giving thanks even surfaces at all.

Charles Lamb
Gluttony and surfeiting are no proper occasions for thanksgiving.

Irv Kupcine
An optimist is a person who starts a new diet on Thanksgiving Day.

Arnold Schwarzenegger
I love Thanksgiving turkey... it's the only time in Los Angeles that you see natural breasts.

Kevin James
Thanksgiving, man! Not a good day to be my pants.

Mike Connolly
Coexistence: what the farmer does with the turkey - until Thanksgiving.

P. J. O'Rourke
Thanksgiving is so called because we are all so thankful that it only comes once a year.

Comments

Chelly said…
Happy Thanksgiving darlin'! :)
Ileana said…
Happy Thanksgiving!!

Btw, I LOVE this paragraph:

"So, we take moments like these to remember the simple times and give thanks for all we have and all that we have been lucky to enjoy in this lifetime. When we sit and take inventory it's way more than we think."

Especially that last sentence. You're so right!!
BBC said…
First, I hope you had a good Thanksgiving even with your dad missing.

I've never been all that fond of dressing's myself. The dinner I went to yesterday had really really good gravy.

The one I went to today had good food and hot looking cathlick chicks.

Well, it was at a Catholic church.
BBC said…
BTW, wasn't any turkey served at the first Thanksgivings. Wasn't none around there back then.
DILLIGAF said…
I have no idea what 'Thanksgiving' is. It is purely American.

Never the less, if we can have a national holiday for it I would cheerfully support it's adoption over here.

Come to that I'd support any cultures bits and bobs if we could have a day off for it!!!!...;-)

Popular Posts

When Potato Salad Goes Bad

Birthday Blast

Thirsty