Until Further Notice

The following quote, which I first ran across some time ago is one that merits daily reminder, but we get so caught up in our day-to-day grind and are so busy 'white knuckle gripping' the things we are so hellbent on worrying and stressing over that we allow it to fall to the wayside.


"Until Further Notice... Celebrate Everything!"


Now I am not certain the origin of this quote, though I have seen it repeated many places, and also seen it as the title of published materials. No matter, the concept is one of the best pieces of advice we could receive. As most of us have experienced, or will realize soon enough in life, nothing is certain, nothing lasts forever, time flies and as Stephen King said it best in his novel '11/22/63' (which I highly recommend reading, by the way), "Life turns on a dime. Sometimes towards us, but more often it spins away, flirting and flashing as it goes: so long, honey, it was good while it lasted, wasn’t it?" So celebrating everything that we're blessed with whether that is some material gift, relationship, family, love, life, still being able to breathe and do daily tasks, or what have you _____ (fill in th' muthacluckin blank)... appreciate that, be grateful, remember it and celebrate it on a daily basis.

So a lot of these superficial holidays, the ones that have been over-commercialized, and exist in their current form now more than ever to feed the pockets of the already rich and greedy... their true meaning has been lost anyway. Can we take a moment to think of the reason behind these holidays? Some of them you wouldn't celebrate anyway due to a cultural meaning, a clash in beliefs, or just for the mere reason that it is nothing but a materialistic marketing ploy in itself. Many holidays are celebrated by people who don't even apply, and they do it just for the big delicious food spread, or the binge drinking, etc.  Now I'm not one to discourage any honors or celebrations, as that is sort of 'anti' what I'm saying here. I'm just saying that on these big commercial holidays, remember what they stand for and be 'awake' in that respect, you might be celebrating and supporting something that you're opposed to... instead, celebrate those important things, and the real moments of life. The little things that we let slide by while we're allowing those big, empty non-important distractions take us from what's real that deserves to be celebrated.

Take these thoughts and good vibes going forward through the holiday season that is upon us, and beyond. Perfect time to do at least one positive thing, or good deed, or project good thoughts and celebrate a moment today, right now, this minute... If we practiced this "Celebrate Everything" philosophy (yes, even the bad stuff, because it builds strength as well as helps us appreciate the good stuff) then we wouldn't even need those ridiculous New Year's Resolutions, most of which we don't stick to anyway. Good habits, the successful ones, are usually the small steps we take, daily that become habits. When you set outlandish goals and bite off more than you can chew, what happens? You likely choke and quit... Baby steps, little things, celebrating everything, big and small but setting realistic goals for ourselves will give us so much more to celebrate, and admit it, make you feel more accomplished in your daily flow. Plus, it gives you a reason to party everyday?? Ha, that's fine, just don't overdo it.

As my Mom always preached, "Everything in moderation."

Our society doesn't really grasp that very well. We are a modern generation of greedy, thoughtless, over-indulgent and gluttonous beings. It's why we're so unhealthy (for the most part) physically, mentally and emotionally for that matter. Not many of us like to admit we are not perfect or that we could really use improvement in these areas, but we get so caught up in ONLY what we see from our own perspective and never force ourselves to look around and see what anyone else is going through or needs, besides what we need and want. What goes around comes around, and that applies to good and bad, so I'd much rather have goodness flowing back to me... yes, I have really gone off the 'philosophical deep end' today, but hey, deal with it. Maybe it's the green tea. Either way, not a bad  message. Yesterday was cupcakes and over-indulgence (on my own part) and today I'm trying to be a better me, and pay it forward. :-)

Speaking of pay it forward, that happened to me in the drive-thru the other day. This was the first time it has ever happened to me, so I must make note of it. I was quite shocked, I must say because of that fact. I of course decided to pay it forward as well. My bill had been close to $8.00 (USD). Before I committed, I inquired the amount of the person behind me. The cashier checked and it was $5.20. So I paid for the person behind me. Please note that the amount wouldn't be an issue if I hadn't just begun working again (things have been a little rough lately) so I wasn't being cheap, I just wouldn't have been able to pay, say, a fifty dollar tab!!  I'm not sure if the people in the car behind me continued the gesture, I hope that they might. I think that 'pay it forward' is sweet... it is a small thing, of course and isn't curing world hunger or helping the homeless, but it is still a nice gesture and it filled my heart with a giving spirit. That's why I say, even one or two small gestures of kindness a day, even if that is just uplifting someone who seems to be going through something (perhaps with just a smile), they truly make a difference.

These are all great ways to 'celebrate everything'. Parties and celebrations don't always have to be for us, they can be selfless.

Enough of my psychobabble, you're probably not still reading this anyway... I don't think I have much of an audience, really. If I do, you guys never leave me comments. I would love to see more comments and more readers again. So if you're still here with me, please leave me a few words.

Though I'm trying to write more, I can't be sure I'll blog again before the week is through so I thought I'd make note of the upcoming 'unusual' and odd holidays from today through maybe Sunday (12/10). If you're looking for fun things to celebrate (as if you don't already have enough from just still being alive and kicking!) then you can use these little amusing dates below as prompts to laugh, and maybe start some tradition, or have some fun with your children and family. Be sure to read a little more about the ones that catch your eye, some of them stem from history, and some have some interesting stories behind them... so we learn a little something as we go. So read about them and enjoy! (I get these from a couple different sites, google "odd holidays" or check out the site Fun Holidays (click here).

For instance, this "Microwave Oven Day" (Dec. 6): I didn't realize that the "Microwave" was Invented by American engineer Percy Spencer during World War II, or that they were first commercially sold in the United States in 1946 under the name 'Radarange'. They rapidly became a coveted kitchen appliance and spawned a whole section of the food industry. Now, they're a common appliance in most homes. I remember our first microwave. My father brought it home when I was about 12. It was a Litton, I think, and the thing lasted until just a few years back before my parents' passing. That's pretty remarkable these days, as not many of our modern tools and appliances have a very lengthy lifespan!

Anyway, I guess I better get back to work, but in the  meantime, check out the next few days, there are some cool little funky holidays, and of course Christmas is here (12/25), Hannakuh (12/12 - 12/20), Kwanzaa (12/26 - 1/1) and more things going on. Do yourself a favor, get to know someone else's traditions and cultures, talk to people about the things they celebrate, educate yourself, practice diversity, understanding and kindness. The world is so much bigger than just your tiny little bubble of perception. Remove your cubicle walls. ;-)

  • Microwave Oven Day - December 6
  • Miners' Day - December 6
  • National Gazpacho Day - December 6
  • National Pawnbrokers Day - December 6
  • Special Kids Day - December 6, 2017 (First Wednesday in December)
  • St. Nicholas Day - December 6
  • International Civil Aviation Day - December 7
  • National Cotton Candy Day - December 7
  • Pearl Harbor Remembrance Day - December 7
  • Feast of the Immaculate Conception - December 8 (Catholic)
  • National Chocolate Brownie Day - December 8
  • Official Lost & Found Day - December 8, 2017
  • Pretend to Be a Time Traveler Day - December 8
  • Gingerbread Decorating Day - December 9, 2017 (Second Saturday in December)
  • International Anti-Corruption Day - December 9
  • International Shareware Day - December 9, 2017 (Second Saturday in December)
  • National Pastry Day - December 9
  • National Wreaths Across America Day - December 9, 2017 (Second Saturday in December)
  • Weary Willie Day - December 9
  • Dewey Decimal System Day - December 10
  • Human Rights Day - December 10
  • National Day of Animal Rights - December 10
  • National Lager Day - December 10
  • Nobel Prize Day - December 10
  • World Choral Day - December 10, 2017 (Second Sunday in December)
  • Worldwide Candle Lighting Day - December 10, 2017 (Second Sunday in December)

Now... CELEBRATE GOOD TIMES, COME ON!!!

Comments

Popular Posts

When Potato Salad Goes Bad

Birthday Blast

Thirsty