Don't Use That Tone With Me!

Karaoke?! Let's Go!!
Well for starters, Karaoke has been on my mind lately... some friends and I have been discussing this, and there is a place that is having Karaoke tomorrow night (Thursday). She asked if I wanted to go, I said maybe but I think I should make it a definite, what'cha think? After all April 16th - 22nd is National Karaoke Week (Set for the Fourth week of April). So if I do go, what song(s) do I sing? Do I sing at all? I haven't done this in quite some time. Sometimes I'm very confident, sometimes I'm not. My voice is craaaackly at times, and I get all respiratory-itchy, and other moments, I'm all clear. We shall see. I've always kind of taken it seriously, like I wanted to sing as best I could... but I think many find the point to be making a fool of yourself and singing badly is the point? I'm not sure... I still like to try to sound good though.

It's National Karaoke Week Y'all!!!

The movies have depicted some fun Karaoke scenes, like "My Best Friend's Wedding" where Julia Roberts tries to shed some ugly light on the guy's non-singing fiance by showcasing her terrible karaoke skills. Didn't work, guy still loved her. Then "Lost In Translation" where they did karaoke into the night, which isn't it actually of Japanese origins? Oh and even on T.V.'s "The King of Queens" where the gang goes to karaoke, and Doug thinks he has a stalker, but it's really Spence, who's tired of always being the one getting bullied so he pulls a fast one on Doug? Yes all so good... but my favorite movie karaoke scene (not due to comedy just performance and song) would have to be from "500 Days of Summer" where Tom sings "Here Comes Your Man" by The Pixies... feel good performance.



Remembering Karaoke times past, I can think of some funny moments and great times, good songs and fun. Used to go to a place in Memphis with my friend Kim called the "Cockeyed Camel" where I remember this one drunk bozo belting out "New York, New York". Not quite a hit with me. I sing various songs, just usually go through the book and find something I like and think that I can handle. One of my friends once took me to a "Crazy Karaoke" at a local bar, and that was interesting. You think of a song, write it down on paper, fold it up and put it in their little "lottery shuffler" (can't think what it's called, where you turn it and then draw out an entry). So you don't get to choose the song, you submit, they draw one for you and you have to sing it. Ha-ha. So the song I got there was "Paradise City" by Guns & Roses. I did the best I could, but let me tell you. Axel would not have been proud. Finally a guy jumped up on stage to help me out, and I was so grateful that I let him finish the last chorus by himself lol.

The last one I'll mention is when I was still with my ex-husband, and his friend KB took us to a little juke joint out in the middle of nowhere, and there was Karaoke. When you mix rednecks, Budweiser and Karaoke, hilarity ensues. One guy jumped up and did his not-so-magical rendition of "Hard To Handle" in the style of the Black Crowes. Let me just say, he was not in key NOR was he in time, and my ex-husband, who is a bit of a music snob anyways had to leave 'on that note' stating if he didn't get out of the building right then, he was going to throw up.

Now you may think that he was just saying this to be an asshole about the guy's lack of musical talent, but he was actually being serious. He stated that the guy's performance literally made him nauseous and he had to go... like right then.

Then there was the time that we went to the Lesbian bar in Midtown and I had a female admirer who loved my "Trisha Yearwood" number. That's fine with me, I don't mind anyone's admiration, and I dislike anyone who is homophobic or closed-minded, so If people hang out with me everyone must treat everyone with respect. There is never a good reason to be callous and intolerant, or to act out unless someone tries to harm you. So there. Love everybody.

Other than that, just catch an event once in a while with various friends when we can find a place that has one, or find one on certain nights. They can be pretty fun. I love to sing, even though I don't really consider myself having a great voice, it's all about enjoying life and the people in it.

Have a great Hump Day! -Jax

Check out these Funny Karaoke Word Plays!

Daily 2017 Holidays that fall on April 18, include:

Adult Autism Day
Animal Crackers Birthday
International Amateur Radio Day
International Day for Monuments and Sites
International Juggler's Day
Last Day of Passover - April 18, 2017 (movable date)
National Columnists Day
National Golf Day
National Lineman Appreciation Day
National Wear Your Pajamas to Work Day
Pet Owners Independence Day
Tax Day (still??)

Comments

Popular Posts

When Potato Salad Goes Bad

Birthday Blast

Thirsty