Crap I Did It Again

Yes, I'm trying to make regular posts, but with my computer still on the outs at home, and my phone not being quite as sweet as a Blackberry should be, I am still waxing and waning like my ruling planet. ((Insert favorite 'taking Jackie overly-serious, trying to call her ignorant comment here so she can blatantly disregard it and think you're a moron)).

I've had several topics go in and out of my head that I thought about writing about, and then I get distracted, busy or both and don't get a chance to capture a few lines to hold my place. One that has kind of held on is something that I keep wondering about myself, as well as others who might share this idiosyncrasy.

Pass The Popcorn!!!
 The question plaguing my mind is, "Why do I relentlessly watch certain movies over and over gazillions of times?" Seriously, some movies I can barely make it through once, some are movies that I say, "Ah that one was pretty good, but I wouldn't really watch it again." Then there are those that I find I either drag out of my collection and toss in the DVD player even though I've seen them so many times I have memorized every line, or I will see that they are on TV and get caught up and mesmerized and have to watch 'since it just happens to be on'.

A few of these for me,  are "Back To The Future" (all of them), "Breakfast Club", "Ferris Bueller's Day Off", "Sixteen Candles" (you can see that these are just favorite 80s movies that must conjure up something for me. More modern ones are "Just Friends" (starring Ryan Reynolds and Amy Smart--HILARIOUS to me), "White Chicks", "The Best Man", "Mona Lisa Smile", "Runaway Bride", "The Brothers", "Soul Food", "Grumpy Old Men / Grumpier Old Men", and then of course some of my Christmas faves I get stuck on in the season, "Bad Santa", "A Christmas Story"... Well you get the picture, and I promise there are many more in my collection.


Many people that know this about me don't understand, and then you have others who are down with the same affliction. So I just don't know... what actually causes those of us who do, to be compelled to sit through these cinematic adventures with limitless fervor? Feel free to repeat the same ol' tired observations about watching movies and t.v. being a waste of valuable time, because hey I already know that, but I'm grown and I waste my time as I wish.

Anyway, it's just something that I was thinking about.


Comments

Furtheron said…
Hmm - I'm not so into that but some films yes - Muppet Christmas Carol, Mousehunt, ... yeah ok it is mostly kids films!

I'm not like that with books, it takes a long time to pass before I'll pick up a book again - I think it is because it is all in my imagination and can never be repeated as good as the first time. But I know other people who read some books annually it seems
Reb said…
Oh, I do that with movies too. Rocky Horror, Bridget Jones, Casablanca, Die Hard (all of them) and the Aliens movies to name just a few. I span many genres and ages as you can see. Why, perhaps because they resonate with something in our lives? Which makes me a very strange individual, but then I knew that. In some cases, it is just the pleasure of watching good actors in their roles, others, because they are so campy and fun. I do the same with a good book, I will read some books over time and time again.
Aunt Jackie said…
Oh Yes Furtheron!! Books too sometimes, and I have a friend who will re-read her Steven King books and the Sookie Stackhouse books until she's blue in the face. :)

Those are good selections Reb! Glad to know some of my favorite blog friends are in the same club with me!!!
BBC said…
I don't have much of a movie collection and have only watched a few movies more than once.
BBC said…
I got tired of getting shitty pictures, bought a new camera today after returning from a road trip.
Anonymous said…
love movies (period) so do understand I think we associate movies like songs and certain foods
They bring us comfort and we can lose ourselves in them without criticism or explaination.

Popular Posts

When Potato Salad Goes Bad

Birthday Blast

Thirsty